Monday, October 16, 2006

Performance

My student invites me to a concert where she will be part of the joint-school choir and perform on the stage of Chan Centre at UBC. It is indeed my honor to be invited to this concert. As a teacher, I've always long to build a relationship with my students, a relationship that is more than just teacher and student, but a relationship of trust and friendship. It is always not easy and it takes time and patience to listen and understand them. Thank God that my student are willing to share with me their daily lives, like the gossip at school, the fight with mom etc. I feel honored to grow with them and just be there listening to them when they want to share their problems with a big sister.

Here is the family background of the student who invites me to her concert:
Her mom runs a store on her own and works 6 days a week, 10 hours a day.
Her dad is a construction contractor and works 7 days a week, ??? hours a day.
Her parents seldom joined any school activities because of the above schedule.

It is her first time to perform at Chan Centre and she invites me, isn't that touched? I'm more than happy to reschdule my other lessons to make myself available that night. You never know how significant and supportive your attendance is to a child when she performs on the stage. I think if my other student has similar performance in the future, I would probably do the same thing too. I feel honored to be part of the audience because I treasure this relationship so much, yes I really do.

No comments: